Winners of the Professor Odintsov Medal
The Professor Viktor Odintsov Medal was established in 2016 to mark the 90th anniversary of Ufa Eye Research Institute and to pay tribute to the late Professor Viktor Odintsov, the first Director of the Institute.
The medal is awarded annually at the International Conference on Ophthalmology 'EAST-WEST'.
Gregor Wollensak (Germany)
Deputy medical Director
eye clinic MVZ Lausitz GmbH, Hoyerswerda
A member of:
- German Society of Ophthalmologists (DOG)
- Companies of the Julius-Hirschberg History of Ophthalmology
- Association of Residents of Wilmer Eye Institute (USA)
- Saxony and Berlin-Brandenburg Ophthalmologic Societies
- Honorary member of the Spanish Association of Implant technology and surgery
Privat-docent Gregor Wollensak (Germany) was the first laureate of this prestigious award to mark his revolutionary new method of corneal cross-linking to halt corneal ectasia progression.
Gregor Wollensak got the Prize of the German Society of Ophthalmologists for his innovative research work 'Riboflavin/Ultraviolet-A-induced collagen crosslinking for the treatment of keratoconus' (2003).
Dr. Gregor Wollensak collaborates closely with Ufa Eye Research Institute in carrying out joint research and participating in the International Conference on Ophthalmology 'EAST-WEST'. Gregor Wollensak was pf great help in collecting historical documents about the late Professor Viktor Odintsov in the archives of Germany.
Boris Malyugin (Russia, Moscow)
Chairman of the Russian Ophthalmology Society
Doctor of medical Science, Professor
Deputy General Director for Scientific Research at S. Fyodorov Eye Microsurgery Federal State Institution.
A member of:
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Academia Ophthalmologica Internationalis
- International Council of Ophthalmology, Advisory Committee and Clinical Guidelines Committee
- Regional Advisory Committee of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Honorary member of Serbian Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Colombian Association of Corneal and Refractive Surgeons;
- International Intra-ocular Implant Club, one of the oldest professional organizations that brings together master surgeons to promote research in the field of cataract surgeries and intraocular lens implantation.
Boris Malyugin is the first Russian laureate of the Professor Viktor Odintsov Medal.
Professor Malyugin is the founder of Russian scientific school for the study of anterior segment repair and reconstruction. Among his interests the most relevant and important are:
- development and implementation of new biopolymers for eye surgeries
- biocompatibility of polymers with eye tissues
- in-depth study of pathogenesis, diagnosis and therapeutic options for corneal genetic diseases and pseudoexfoliation syndrome
- tissue and and ocular cells transplantation
- selective tissue corneal transplantation
- development and modification of IOLs
- methods and techniques of complicated cataract surgery and aphakia correction affected by concomitant eye pathologies
- intraocular correction of refractive errors
- microendoscopic ocular surgeries
- pharmacological protection of eye tissues during surgical interventions
- prevention and management of postoperative inflammations
Boris Malyugin is the winner of the National award "Prizvanie" (Vocation) (2015). For research and original contributions to ophthalmic surgery he was awarded diplomas of the Asia-Pacific Academy of ophthalmology (2015), the American Academy of Ophthalmology (2015), and presented The George Agarwal Medal of All India Ophthalmological Society (2015) and the Gold Medal by the Moroccan Society of Ophthalmology (2016).
Sunay Duman (Turkey)
Founder and Chairman of the Turkish Republics Ophthalmology Society (TROS).
A member of:
• Turkish Association of Ophthalmology (TAO)
• American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
• American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS)
• European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons (ESCRS)
• European Contact Lens Society of Ophthalmology (ECLSO)
Dr. Sunay Duman has extensive experience of organizational work. For more than 30 years she was in charge of the Ophthalmology Clinic in Ankara, on the basis of which the First International Eye Bank of Turkey was established. Sunay Duman was the first female ophthalmologist who performed phacoemulsification with intraocular lens implantation in Turkey. Hundreds of specialists were trained under her leadership.
She is the founder and chairman of the Turkish Republics Ophthalmology Society (TROS), which was established in 2001 and united ophthalmologists from 7 countries: Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Northern Cyprus, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan and Turkey. In 2016 ophthalmologists from the Republic of Bashkortostan were granted permanent membership at TROS.
TROS is a member of the International Council of Ophthalmology.
Sunay Duman's direct involvement helped to organize outreach sessions in other countries (Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan, etc.) in order to present talks and train specialists of the Society.
Dr. Sunay Duman's close collaboration with Ufa Eye Research Institute contributed to the inclusion of TROS session into the framework of the International Conference on Ophthalmology 'EAST-WEST'.
Mikhail Frolov (Moscow)
since 2002 – member of SAC in ophthalmology, RUDN University
since 2012 – full member of the International Informatization Academy
since 2017 – member of RFBF Commission
since 1917 – Chairman of SAC in Russian Research Institute of Eye Diseases at the Russian Academy of Sciences
since 2018 – Expert of the Higher Attestation Committee (surgical sciences)
since 2018 – Expert of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS)
since 2019 – Senior international foreign advisor of the International Eye Centre, China (2019)
since 2019 – Chairman of Dissertation Council # 0300.007, RUDN University
• Mikhail Frolov is the author of more than 350 scientific papers, 17 patents and 12 rationalization proposals, 13 study guides, 1 monograph
• Developed a set of instruments for ophthalmic surgery (21 instruments)
• 5 multimedia manuals on the innovative educational program, approved by The Russian Ministry of Education
• Under Mikhail Frolov’s guidance 12 candidate dissertations were defended, 5 more candidate dissertations are being prepared for defense
Mikhail Frolov perfroms around 300 surgeries a year and does a lot of consultative work.
He also conducts consultative, scientific and practical work in China.