Winners of the Professor Odintsov Medal
Professor Victor P. Odintsov Medal was established in 2016 in connection with the 90th anniversary of the Ufa Eye Research Institute as a tribute of memory and respect to the founder of one of the largest ophthalmologic schools of Russia and first Director of the Institute, the native of Ufa.
The medal is awarded annually within the framework of the International conference on ophthalmology "East-West.
Gregor Wollensak (Germany)
Deputy medical Director
eye clinic MVZ Lausitz GmbH, , Hoyerswerda
A member of:
- German Society of Ophthalmologists (DOG)
- Companies of the Julius-Hirschberg History of Ophthalmology
- Association of Residents of Eye Institute n.a. Wilmer (USA)
- Saxony and Berlin-Brandenburg Ophthalmologic Societies
- Honorary member of the Spanish Association of Implant technology and surgery
The first recipient of this prestigious award became a Privat-docent, Gregor Wollensak (Germany). He is the founder of the treatment keratectasia using a fundamentally new method of cross - linking of the cornea, and made a significant contribution to the development of world ophthalmology.
G. Wollensak is the winner of the award of the German Society of Ophthalmologists for its innovative research "Corneal collagen Crosslinking with Riboflavin for treatment of keratoconus" (2003)
Dr. Gregor Wollensak works closely with the Ufa Eye Research Institute carrying out joint researches, participating in the conference "East-West". G. Wollensak rendered great assistance in collecting historical documents about Professor Odintsov in the archives of Germany.
Malyugin B. E. (Moscow)
Chairman of the Society of Ophthalmologists of Russia
Doctor of medical Sciences, Professor
Deputy General Director on scientific work of Fedorov Eye Microsurgery Federal State Institution.
A member of:
- European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- International Ophthalmology Academy (Academia Ophthalmologica Internationalis)
- Advisory Committee of the International Council of Ophthalmology (International Council of Ophthalmology, and Clinical Advisory Committee Guidelines Committee)
- the Regional Advisory Committee of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
- Honorary member of Serbian Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons
- Colombian Association of Corneal and Refractive Surgeons;
- International intraocular implant Club, the oldest professional organization of scientists who are developing research problems associated with cataract surgery and intraocular correction.
B. E. Malyugin was the first winner of Victor P. Odintsov among Russian ophthalmologist.
Professor B. E. Malyugin is the original founder of domestic scientific school on study of optical-reconstructive operations on the anterior part of the eye, including keratoplasty. Among developed by Professor Malygin scientific content the most relevant and useful for science and practice are the following: development and implementation of new biopolymer materials and designs for ophthalmic surgery, the problem of biocompatibility of polymers with tissues of the eye; in-depth study of key aspects of pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment of a number of genetically determined diseases of the cornea, pseudoexfoliation syndrome; transplantation of tissues and individual cell elements of the eyeball and the development of the concept of selective tissue-saving technologies replacement cornea; development and improvement of new models of artificial lens of the eye; the development of new surgical technologies and techniques of cataract extraction and intraocular correction of aphakia in complicated cases, but also in terms of comorbidity of the eyeball; the study of questions of intraocular correction of refractive anomalies; development of a method of microendoscopy in ophthalmic surgery; pharmacological protection of the eye tissue during surgical interventions, prevention and correction of postoperative inflammatory complications.
B. E. Malyugin is the winner of the National award "Calling" (2015). For research and original contributions in ophthalmic surgery awarded by diplomas of the Asia-Pacific Academy of ophthalmology (2015), and the American Academy of Ophthalmology (2015),George Agarwal Medal of India Ophthalmic Society (2015), Gold Medal of the Moroccan Society of Ophthalmologists (2016).
The winner of the 2018
Sunay Duman (Turkey)
Founder and Chairman of the Turkish Republics Ophthalmology Society (TROS).
Is a member of:
• Turkish Association of Ophthalmology (TAO)
• American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
• American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ASCRS)
• European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery (ESCRS)
• European Society of Ophthalmologists Contactologist (ESOC)
Dr. Sunay Duman has extensive experience of organizational work. More than 30 years she was in charge of the Ophthalmology Clinic in Ankara, on the basis of which was created the First International Eye Bank of Turkey. Sunay Duman was the first female ophthalmologist, performed the phacoemulsification with implantation of intraocular lenses in Turkey. Hundreds of professionals were trained under her leadership.
Founder and Chairman of the Turkish Republics Ophthalmology Society (TROS), which was established in 2001 and joined ophthalmologists from 7 countries: Azerbaijan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Northern Cyprus, Uzbekistan, Turkmenistan, and Turkey. From 2016 the company structure consisted of ophthalmologists of the Republic of Bashkortostan. TROS is a member of the International Ophthalmological Union.
With the direct participation of Sunay Duman the outreach sessions with presentations, training of specialists of the Society were organized, for example, in Azerbaijan, Uzbekistan and other countries. It is a big help for young ophthalmologists.
Dr. Sunay Duman works closely with the Ufa Eну Research Institute. Thanks to her active work in June 2018 in the framework of the International conference on ophthalmology "East-West". The scientific session of TROS dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the retina was held with great success.